What Is Permaculture?
Here is a definition from the website Tropical Permaculture:
“The term permaculture combines the words permanent and culture, or permanent and agriculture, and that is the first hint to what it’s all about.The philosophy behind permaculture was developed about thirty years ago in Australia by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. During his many years as a wildlife biologist Bill Mollison had witnessed first hand the destruction that humans are causing in natural systems, but he also had a chance to observe how these natural ecosystems work and what keeps them in balance. Permaculture design is a result of these observations.
Bill Mollison and his then student David Holmgren first published their ideas in 1978, in a book called Permaculture One, introducing a “design system for creating sustainable human environments”, based on close observation of natural systems. In a later book, Introduction to Permaculture, Bill Mollison writes:
“The aim is to create systems that are ecologically-sound and economically viable, which provide for their own needs, do not exploit or pollute, and are therefore sustainable in the long term.
Permaculture uses the inherent qualities of plants and animals combined with the natural characteristics of landscapes and structures to produce a life-supporting system for city and country, using the smallest practical area.”
Northern California Resources:
- Occidental Arts and Ecology Center: education center in Occidental (Sonoma County) offering Permaculture Design Certification courses
- Regenerative Design Institute: offering permaculture design and leadership courses
- Merritt College: Oakland Community College offers a certificate in permaculture design
- Earth Activist Training: Permaculture Design Certification course with Starhawk, with a focus on social permaculture, organizing tools and spirit
- Permaculture Skills Center: education center with intensive permaculture vocational training programs, based in Sebastopol
- Daily Acts: community action organization offering Permaculture Design Certification courses